Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Learning more

Sometimes in this life I've had to learn more than I wanted to. Like multiple myeloma, for instance. I just learned that my cousin has had to learn about another rare disease, called PMP. There's not much more to do than to learn what you can, and carry on.

This week I'm learning about CMV, or cytomegalovirus. It's a very common virus, between 50 and 80% of adults have been infected by it. Most infections are "silent", but it can be serious for a transplant patient. Because of the anti-rejection drugs I'm taking, this virus has decided to take off in me, which the doctors have been watching for, so now I'm on an anti-viral medication to keep it under control.

The best news this week is that I was given clearance to go home for weekends! It might depend, though, on whether I need to be monitored for this virus over the weekend, but still good news.

Highlight this week was a long walk to Pike Place Market for dinner, and then to Safeco Field to watch Oregon State vs. U of W. It was our first time to Safeco Field, and it's very nice, but we should have dressed warmer.

2 comments:

Jen D said...

Dear Gary,

My name is Jenny and I am part of an online community called CarePlace, for people with similar health concerns and their caregivers. I came across your blog and story and want to introduce you to our site.

We have recently opened a new Multiple Myeloma community and forum and would love to hear what you think. We are excited to offer a unique online support network for those with MM. As your blog relates to what we are doing at CarePlace, I wonder if you might visit our site and let me know if you think it might be helpful to the people who communicate through and with you.

At CarePlace, you can create your own webpage, join multiple communities, share an online journal with family members and friends and chat live with other members, in addition to sharing and supporting. CarePlace is a great resource for the exchange of ideas and information.

It’s important to us to get feedback from people like you about CarePlace as we develop our site. Site address is www.CarePlace.com. Please add me as a friend (profile name Jen D). I would very much appreciate any insight and thoughts you have about our organization and the site.

Thanks in advance!

Jenny (jend)

Unknown said...

Hi Jenny,

This is probably a generational thing, but that site looks like a MySpace or Facebook kind of thing, where you count how many friends you have, and how many groups and communities you belong to. Reminds me of my brother wanting to come over the other night, but only if I was going to have American Idol on, which I definitely was not!

I am on several genital integrity mailing lists, run one myself, and I run a very supportive mailing list on foreskin restoration, so I guess that's enough online community for me. But I'll continue to poke around CarePlace and see if I get anything out of it.

Thanks,
Gary