Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hard to believe

Sometimes it's good news that is hard to believe. This week the doctor said that most myeloma patients do well after this transplant procedure, mentioning someone that is 8 years out. I don't know how to hold onto that hope without crushing it. Just one day at a time, I guess.

But the tests are good. I got clarification on the 0.02 number from the bone marrow test, and that is the percentage of abnormal cells in the bone marrow. Considering I started out at diagnosis at 80%, that's very good. I have another bone marrow test in 2 weeks, so we'll see.

I sure hope I get to see the school play that Gene is going to be in. He does so well at animating the characters, really playing the part, not just speaking the lines. The other thing he's good at is doing his school work, when he decides to do it. Just deciding to do it is the hardest part. Keep up the good work, Gene!

I hope your holiday weekend is lining up as well as mine! An anniversary, a few nights at home, and meeting friends at the race track. Life is good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds fantastic!

I always wondered how they judge success with an allogeneic transplant, now I know.

Eighty percent of the cells were abnormal? Wow.

I assume you will have follow-up scans for the rest of your life (will they switch at some point from marrow samples to the less painful PET scan?). I use testing days to reflect on how great it is to still be around. There are more and more survivors out there every day!

Kind of adds a new dimension to your life. First, material success and raising a family. Then restoration, leaving this world with more skin than you had before you restored. Then beating cancer. The "trifecta" of a fantastic life.

saturndude

Unknown said...

Yes, 80%. The doctor that sent me to the emergency room the first time wasn't sure I would make it.

I think the bone marrow test is the standard for myeloma. I've not had any scan for the cancer itself, I don't think, but I get periodic bone surveys by x-ray, which would pick up some of the effects of the cancer.

Fantastic life is right. Glad you could share it with me.

Gary