Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Schedule change

Over many years I donated over 4 gallons of blood, stopping when the first hints of an immune problem appeared. Donating just seemed like a good thing to do, and I never expected to need any blood transfusions myself. But I have needed 6 units so far, and might need more, possibly during this transplant procedure. Now, I need stem cells from a donor. Of course I'm very thankful for the many people who have registered with the National Marrow Donor Program, since that's where my donor match was found.

What we learned just yesterday is that the donor needs to delay collection of the stem cells for a couple of days. There seems to be no problem in actually donating, just a scheduling problem. So, the date of the transplant has changed, and will not be as scheduled after all. The only negative is that it will delay my return home, but I'm very thankful to this particular donor. I hope to learn more about the schedule change today.

The good news was that I am in very good shape overall, especially after having been through 2 autologous stem cell procedures (using my own stem cells). The doctors told us yesterday that their tests show that my heart and kidneys are just fine, and best of all, the cancer is virtually undetectable, which is important for this allogeneic stem cell transplant (using a donor) to work. There may be some inflammation in my lungs, but not enough to call off the transplant.

Tomorrow I am scheduled for placement of a central line, called a Hickman catheter, by Dr. Robert Hickman himself! This catheter goes into a vein near the heart and is used for quick and easy access to blood for tests, and to administer fluids or antibiotics should I need them. The stem cells go in through that catheter, as well. The dangling lines are kind of a pain, but I've managed before.

Why am I having a transplant? That's because I have multiple myeloma, a cancer of the blood, specifically a certain plasma cell that proliferates, causing lots of problems. It can't be cut out, unfortunately, but at least it doesn't usually spread, although it can. One of the best treatments for myeloma so far is a stem cell transplant. That has worked well for me both times, using my own stem cells. Unfortunately, though, the cancer came back sooner than we hoped. We knew it would be back, but I actually hoped that it would be after a better treatment was developed. I am in remission now, from the last autologous transplant, but a donor transplant has the additional potential benefit of setting up an immune system response to attack the cancer on-going. Rather than have a remission of 1 year or less and go back on chemotherapy again, we are hoping for something close to a cure. No guarantees, of course.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and well wishes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone - this is Marilyn, and I am here, too. We have been going to lots of appointments, including nutrition class and how to be a caretaker.

We are living in a small 2 bedroom apartment in the Pete Gross House, associated with Seattle Cancer Care. We can see the Space Needle and the Olympics in one direction and Lake Union and the Mercer mess in another. The apartment house has a really attractive roof garden that we hope to spend a lot of time in.

I have signed up with a local gym, so on days Gary does not need me full time (most of them, as we understand) I can continue to try to get back in shape. And I just got a temporary library card today, so I'm set.

Anonymous said...

Lane here...I had hoped to never have to figure out "blogging"! I find it's rather interesting...I still haven't figured it out, but it seems to be a good way to communicate, and I'm all for that!

Thanks for sharing the "updates"> I will contnue to wish you both the best of the best!

Happy Valentine's Day---xxooLane

Anonymous said...

I have never done this blogging thing either so Gary you are responsible for some educational experiences here in addition to learning about myeloma and stem cell transplants. I hope you get some sunny days in Seattle before the actual transplant. Best wishes and we will keep you in our thoughts.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,

I have MM too, but have not had any transplants. I'll be watching your blog and wish you all the best. Let's hope that allo is a cure for you.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary & Marilyn! Kudos on the blog, I think it will be a great way to keep people informed and connected. The updates are sure helpful for me.

I watered you African violets today, and made some beef and brocolie with rice that Gene really liked. That's about the only excitement going on around here. Oh, and Gene got new trucks, bearings and wheels for his skateboard. He needed about $5 more than he had, so I got to con him into doing some extra chores this week in exchange for the extra money.

Talk to you guys soon!

Allison

Anonymous said...

My Prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Gary and Marilyn,

I am pleased to hear that things are going well so far. I think about you both every day and will continue to send positive vibes your way.

Cathy

Anonymous said...

Gary, Marilyn & Gene,
Your are in my thoughts and prayers daily. We miss you Gary.
dawne

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,

Post some more. When is your allograft?

Jerry

Anonymous said...

Thank you for directing me to this blog about you (which I have never used before).

I am glad to hear the good news about you, Gary my friend.
Yes, you must keep fighting now. We all do for numerous reasons, and I'll pray for you.

agape,
mike worsham
Chester Va