Saturday, June 2, 2007

Attachments and bonding

While waiting for a job to open up in the Seattle area in 1976, I had a fear of getting too attached to my accidental home in Los Angeles. Moving to where the jobs were had been traumatic enough, and I did not want to get "stuck" there. I just wanted out of L.A., so I took a job in Dallas for a year. It's a funny thing when you leave a place you're "not attached" to, all of a sudden all the good things about it and the good people you knew come to mind.

So it's going to be when I leave here. I've observed bonding going on between patients and staff here, but I guess I thought I was immune, because I didn't want to be here. Well, I was hoping to talk the main team nurse into coming home with us, but as Marilyn says, she loves her job too much. And I still maintain that you can't help falling in love with the first nurse to give you a chemo infusion. Imagine, sitting there like a sick puppy, with "please save me" in your wide eyes. Thus I'm finding myself not as immune as I thought.

But it's OK. The best thing to do is to just relax and enjoy all the good feelings you can. It just means you're alive.

No comments: