Wednesday, February 28, 2007

At home

The new schedule is to begin the transplant process the week of March 12th, so we get to spend this week and most of next at home. There are several fortunate things, that I had 3 matched donors to begin with, and I'm well enough that delaying a couple of weeks should not affect the final outcome negatively. That, and lots of good friends and family. That includes our hockey family, where several families have helped get Gene to practice and games. Thank you!

As you expected, I did quite a bit of research on alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, and I found out my genetic test results, which said I have both of the defective genes, the worst case. But, there are treatments out there that will help, and I start one of them next week, one called Prolastin. It's a product created from blood donations. I never knew how much I would be dependent on blood donations when I was donating blood. I bet they had a hard time trying to make Prolastin out of my donations, though, since I have so little alpha-1 antitrypsin.

On a sad note, a very good family friend died last week from cancer. I don't know why her and not me, I only know to do my best to make the world better, and celebrate life. I'm sure you know what I mean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary, Marilyn & Gene! (Lane here)

I do check up on your "blog" and catch new additions pretty fast (for a dinosaur-type blog user...).

It sounds like you've developed a nice support system for Gene...that's a good thing for the active fellow!

As usual, I'm sending my best wishes to you all and hope to see you in April...we'll wait and see how that goes.

Take care,
Lane